Thursday, August 5, 2010

Kauai



They call Kauai the Garden Isle of the Hawaiian Islands. It's so beautiful with no large towns or cities. It's a paradise with grand canyons, majestic waterfalls, and clear blue beaches as far as the eye can see. Ocean on one side, canyons on the other. Nothing but rest and relaxation, and a few adventures along the way. There's lots of local culture and history that makes you feel so calm at the simple, untouched beauty of island life.



My mommy and daddy and I hiked to the top of Waimea Canyon, with steep rocks high up in the clouds and a view of the entire Napali Coast. We visited the old Hanalei town, mountain views, taro fields, and old churches untouched by development. We took a catamaran along the Napali Coast and snorkeled with the the tropical fish. We swam with giant turtles at the best known beach on the island, Poipu. We took in the sights of the old Kilauea Lighthouse, and the ruins of the sugar mills. And we even got to enjoy the traditional Hawaiian feast of kahlua pig and poi as we watched hula dancers dining at the Smith Family Luau.



The one week my family and I spent in Kauai filled our hearts with peace, and a dream of living there in the future. I almost cried when I boarded the return plane home...I will remember Kauai fondly and bug my parents to return often :)


No comments:

Post a Comment